1. Parenting

Should Girls Play Football?

By September 29, 2007

I received an email from a 16 year old girl who is familiar with the Independent Women's Football League and is interested in playing youth football. Of the 3 leagues I've profiled 2 (American Youth Football and Pop Warner Little Scholars Football) don't mention girls playing or not. The other (NFL Youth Football) has separate divisions for teenage girls while younger girls and boys play together, mostly non-contact teams.

There are differences in strength and endurance between boys and girls, especially as they grow. Plus other, gender-related, concerns as children become teens that make many people uncomfortable with boys and girls playing a contact sport together.

On the other hand, girls are not the delicate creatures we were once thought to be and many girls are no longer content to wave pompoms and perform acrobatics on the sidelines. They want to be in the game, with all that entails. Girls play softball and baseball, soccer, track and field, and just about every other sport boys play and it's not too difficult for them to play on co-ed teams or find girls' leagues.

Football, however, continues to hold out as a nearly male-only sport. What's a girl to do? Play with the boys? Sit and watch her guy play? Perhaps it's time to bring more youth football opportunities to the girls in our communities.

Take some more Kids' Clubs Polls

Comments
July 31, 2008 at 9:38 pm
(1) no says:

lets see baseball/softball- not really contact sports
track and field-not a sport at all
soccer-fine they can have that as well
football-they(girls) should never play

August 2, 2008 at 10:16 pm
(2) Kayla Jean Grosso says:

I’m a female that plays football. And I love every minute of it.

August 6, 2008 at 7:22 pm
(3) a person says:

to mr no!!
girls should be allowed to play footie just because your sexist dont mean your right

September 14, 2008 at 12:22 am
(4) Amber says:

I have a child that plays little league football and SHE plays better than the boys. actually in one game she had 2 tackles, 2 carries for 12 yards together, and a sack. Now Mr. no can you tell why girls shouldn’t play as long as they are as good if not better than the boys? oh yeah the coaches likes it cause it makes the boys work harder so that a girl don’t take their position.

October 13, 2008 at 2:39 pm
(5) lizmctiz16 says:

GIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING BOYS CAN DO!!!

November 30, 2008 at 5:34 pm
(6) CarCar says:

I played football and I’m a girl, and I beat up a whole bunch of the guys. Every girl deservse to do what they want to. And if thats football all the sexist jackasses should deal with it, women have every right to do what guys do.

December 17, 2008 at 6:41 pm
(7) blah blah blah says:

for da guy dat said no, well ur jus a sorry excuse. us girls can carry our own weight in a game. an if u think girls shudnt play den maybe ur jus scared to get beat by one.
an btw, u forgot a sport, HOCKEY! ya, dats a contact sport aint it?

December 19, 2008 at 11:10 am
(8) Patriots love and live says:

Hey Mr. No,

You are so wrong with your statement and you don’t even know i bet that i could kick your ass in football. Girls can take just about any contact a guy can and we could probably do it better than you guys could too. Just because a few girls cry over breaking a nail doesn’t mean all of us are like that. In fact i can kick all my friends asses in football and guess what… their ALL guys and not one of them are afraid to denie it either their proud that a girl like me can kick butt in football and i can take all the concussions and bumps and bruises to go with it. I love football and i think that they (sexist coaches) should get used to letting girls play. What do you got to say to that buddy?

January 21, 2009 at 2:39 pm
(9) lexy c says:

i played football for 5 years and i loved it …. but then one game the couch from the other team told his players to hurt me . i so i do not think that girls should play because of that and the did not just happened with that team it happened all the time… and i broke my legs.. i dont want that to happened to other girls.. so no ii dont think they should play with boys !!!

January 21, 2009 at 7:09 pm
(10) Heidi Coghlan says:

Lexy ~ What a shame that others’ bad behavior injured you and forced you from an activity you love. I hope you’ve recovered.

February 26, 2009 at 2:15 pm
(11) Lexie's Mom says:

Hi Im a mom of a girl football player. My daughter has now played for her school’s youth league the last two years. She plays offensive and defensive line. She is just as good if not better than most of the guys she goes up against. Her dad and I have never sugar coated the fact that she just because she’s a girl has to prove herself more than the guys. Sad but true. She absolutely loves football. I would like to see Mr. No put on some pads and go up against her. She’s a 6th grader that can lift 240lbs. Oh and by the way she also wrestles.